Tax Refund – New Zealand

Worked in New Zealand? Don’t forget to claim your tax refund!

Have you worked as a non-resident in New Zealand? If so, you could be due a BIG tax refund.

Every year, thousands of workers in New Zealand miss out on claiming their tax refund.

Don’t let this happen to you!

Sinar Harapan Bangsa has partnered with to help you claim your New Zealand tax refund easily online.

The average New Zealand rebate is $550. So why leave your money in New Zealand?

Ready to get started? Simply complete the short form here and will take care of the rest!

Here’s everything you need to know to claim your tax back.

Do I need to file a tax return?

Like most countries, anyone who works in New Zealand must pay tax. New Zealand’s tax system is called Pay As You Earn or PAYE. PAYE is a progressive tax system so the more you earn the more tax you’ll have to pay. 

The tax is deducted by your employer before you receive your payment so the amount of income you receive into your bank account, you can keep! 

Remember, it is very common for overseas and temporary workers in New Zealand to overpay on their tax bills. 

With that in mind, it’s always a good idea to file your taxes so that you can check whether or not you are due any tax back. By filing your taxes, you can claim any tax allowances or reliefs you are entitled to.

Who can claim a tax refund in New Zealand?

In short, there are countless reasons why you could be due tax back, including:

  • You were on a Working Holiday Visa while working in New Zealand 
  • You worked full or part time in the last 10 years 
  • You were a Backpacker/Backpacking  
  • You were a student during your time in New Zealand 
  • You want to comply with the tax laws of New Zealand
  • And more

The average New Zealand tax refund is $550. So it is definitely worth checking how much you can claim back. What’s more, when you apply with, you can get a free estimation of how much you are due.

Can international students claim a tax refund in New Zealand?

International students who earn an income in New Zealand are required to file a tax return at the end of a financial year in order to claim overpaid taxes and stay compliant with the New Zealand tax authorities.

The good news is that many students are entitled to a tax refund if they work and earn an income in order to cover their living expenses.

You must file your tax return in order to claim your tax refund.

How do I claim my New Zealand tax refund?

Filing a New Zealand tax return can be a confusing task for anyone – especially if you are not familiar with the local language, tax rules, or regulations.

While you can file directly with the New Zealand tax authorities, Sinar Harapan Bangsa has partnered with to help you claim your tax back the easy way!

Their team of New Zealand tax experts will take care of all the paperwork so that you don’t have to.

What’s more, when you apply with, you are guaranteed to receive your maximum tax refund!

You can still apply with even if you have already left New Zealand – will transfer your refund into your bank account anywhere in the world.

It only takes a couple of minutes to apply with In fact, all you need to do is complete the short form here.

What do I need in order to file my tax return?

When you sit down to file your tax return, be sure to have the below documents close by.

You will need a summary of your earnings or final payslip and a copy of your ID.

A summary of your earnings is an official government form that you get from the New Zealand tax authorities at the end of each tax year. If you choose to use your final payslip, you will find this with your last pay cheque from your employer.

Either one of these documents will show your earnings from the year and how much tax you paid. 

When is the New Zealand tax deadline?

For filing your income tax return the tax year runs from April 1 to March 31 of the following year. However, it is possible to request an extension if required. You can also avail of this extension when you apply with If you are due a tax refund, you can go back four years in order to claim your entitlements.

Where can I learn more about claiming my New Zealand tax refund?

For starters, be sure to check out the ultimate guide to claiming your New Zealand tax back.

And, if you are working in New Zealand, you will no doubt find these top tips on claiming your employment-related expenses to be really helpful.

Finally, the tax experts have also shared some advice on claiming your refund if you are outside of New Zealand.  

I have worked in many countries overseas. Who can help me with my taxes?

If you have worked abroad, can help you to claim your tax refund.

The tax experts offer tax refund services in 11 countries, including:

When you apply with, their tax team will handle all of the tricky tax paperwork and ensure you receive your maximum refund.

Plus, if you have already returned to your home country, can transfer your money to your bank account anywhere in the world.

To find out how much tax back you can claim, simply complete the short form here. 

Why apply with

  • Your maximum New Zealand tax refund guaranteed
  • Simple online process – no complicated forms
  • Dedicated Personal Account Manager guides you through the process
  • Refund delivered to your bank account anywhere in the world
  • 24/7 Live Chat tax support

powered by

Translate »
Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner